The Healthy Skeptic
It happens every day: we pick up a newspaper or magazine or turn on the television and are bombarded with urgent advice about how to stay healthy. Lose weight! Lower your cholesterol! Early detection saves lives! Sunscreen prevents cancer! But in many cases, pronouncements we rarely think to question turn out to be half-truths that are being pushed by various individuals or groups to advance their own agendas. The Healthy Skeptic explores who these health promoters are—from journalists and celebrities to industry-funded groups and consumer activists—what their motives are, and how they are spinning us in ways we often don't realize.
- Diets and why they don’t work
- Dietary supplements
- The campaign to reduce cholesterol
- Celebrity exhortations to “get tested”
- Sunscreen and its promoters’ claims
- The antichemical activists